Vapor Barrier: Eleven Warning Signs You Have Moisture in Your Crawl Space
Many homeowners spend a lot of their time and money on what they can see daily: their furniture, their rooms, and their exterior of their home. What most homeowners don’t realize is that, if neglected, their crawl spaces can be the biggest cause of structural and health problems in the home. The cost of having a crawl space with moisture can be thousands of dollars in repair and the untold amount of health and respiratory problems. Having a well-maintained vapor barrier will help waterproof your crawl space and can help you eliminate the problems.
Watch for the Warning Signs of Moisture in Your Crawl Space
So, why not get ahead of the curve and identify the cause of these problems before they become a big problem for you and your home? The following are eleven warning signs you have a moisture problem beneath your home and that you should install a crawl space vapor barrier as soon as possible:
- Standing water in your crawl space – one of the most obvious signs of moisture
- Peeling exterior paint – Moisture will cause your paint to peel leading to increased maintenance problems.
- Pest Control Problems – Moisture is a natural friend of most pests. Moisture will draw termites, rats, mosquitos, and other pests. These pests can cause wood and plumbing damage along with health concerns.
- HVAC damage - Ventilation vents in the crawl space shows evidence of rust
- Mold and mildew – Mold and mildew is present on the walls and flooring of your crawl space floor that may lead to serious health concerns
- Bad odor – You can’t figure out what that odor is in and around your home? It may be the moisture and/or standing water is in your crawl space.
- High radon levels in your home – Radon can cause serious health concerns. Have an expert check your home for radon, especially if your community has radon concerns.
- Rotting wood – If you see evidence of rotting wood in the ceiling of the crawl space, you have a moisture problem.
- Efflorescence on the walls of the crawl space - Efflorescence is a crystalline deposit of salts often seen on the surface of concrete, brick, stucco, or natural stone surfaces. Efflorescence occurs when water is present on or in the masonry surface. It sparkles. Efflorescence is white, sometimes with a grayish tint. It flakes off the surface and is present only on the surface. Its salt deposits left behind by water.
- Rusted pipes in the crawl space – This happens when the pipes are in a wet environment
- Health concerns – Do you or family members experience frequent headaches, respiratory illnesses, allergies, or asthma? This could be complications that could come from mold or mildew sitting and growing beneath your house.
Now you know the eleven signs of moisture problems in your crawl space, what can you do? First, call your pest control or foundation expert and have them do a checkup on your crawl space. Second, make sure they suggest the best encapsulation, dehumidifier, crawl space door and air vent; exhaust fan, and vapor barrier solutions for your situation. Third, make sure you or your expert schedule regular crawl space checkups to look for the eleven signs of moisture. Also, make sure your vapor barrier is in good shape and repair or replace as needed.
Knowing the warning signs of moisture in your crawl space can save you thousands of dollars in home costs and health bills. If you need more information on how to keep moisture out of your crawl space, call us at 757-363-0005, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or go to our website at www.crawlspacedoors.com.