Humidistat: How it Will Save You Thousands in Repair Costs
What is a humidistat? Why use a humistat in your crawl space? Along with encapsulation, a humidistat is important to ventilate your crawl space to control humidity and it’s after effects.
A humidistat is a “thermostat” for controlling humidity in your crawl space. It works with your crawl space fan to ventilate the crawl space and control humidity.
A well-ventilated crawl space using a humistat and exhaust fan will benefit you in the following ways:
- Control the Temperature and Save Energy - Increased moisture impacts the humidity level of your home. Your home becomes hotter or cooler than it should be. Your air conditioner or furnace will run longer to compensate for these higher humidity levels. Also, your furnace must work harder to increase the heat in the home. When you cover your crawl space floor with a vapor barrier, it helps to reduce your energy costs and wear and tear on your air conditioner or furnace by reducing the time that your systems need to run.
- Increase the Life of Your Exhaust Fan – By setting your humidistat at a certain humidity level, you will extend the life of your exhaust fan by not having the fan run 24/7. The humidistat will automatically turn on the exhaust fan when need and turn the fan off when not needed.
- Limit Dampness -Water and moisture can seep through walls and the dirt floor underneath your home. As moisture and humidity increases in a crawl space, the dark and damp environment spreads moisture and promotes the growth of mold and mildew. Moisture also attracts termites and other insects that can damage your home.
- Reduce Wiring and Electrical Hazards -Moisture and electrical systems is a dangerous combination. Moisture can lead to electrical shorts, rusted wires, and even a fire. Ensuring electrical components are free from moisture should be your number one concern. Failing to do so could result in an increased risk of fire and damage to your home or electrocution.
- Preserve Pipes -Your crawl space has multiple pipes for your water and sewer lines. Moisture that collects on pipes can cause the pipes to lose their integrity and break over time due to rust. Using a humidistat will help to preserve the life of your pipes and keep the plumber away, thus saving you money on repairs down the road.
- Save Your Home’s Structure -As previously mentioned, moisture in your crawl space can lead to wood rot. Rotted wood among your joists may cause structural damage, and that damage creates a huge repair bill. Keep this water out of your crawl space and your wood dry with a vapor barrier installation underneath your home.
- Health Concerns –Moisture in your crawl space will lead to mold and mildew. This mold and mildew will seep through the crawl space ceiling into your living area. This can lead to a respiratory health issue for anyone living in the home. Mold is a fungus that can quickly grow in moisture-rich areas and cause illnesses among your family - only certified professionals can remove mold completely. Thus, a decrease in quality of life. Putting down a vapor barrier in your crawl space will keep it dry and keep the hazardous fumes caused by mold and mildew away from your family’s lungs.
- Saves the Value of Your Home –Mold can affect the value of your home in several ways. If you have mold in your home, it may cost you thousands of dollars to remove. If you are selling your home, buyers will ask you to decrease your selling price due to the cost of mold removal. Mold also impacts the insurability of your home. A mold infestation can reduce the value of your home by up to half, which is why prevention is so important and worth every penny.
By adding a humidistat to your crawl space exhaust fan, you will save thousands of dollars
over the lifetime of your home in repair costs. Our humidistat is easy to install and easy to work within tight spaces.
To find out more about how our humidistat can help you control humidistat and keep your crawl space healthy, go to: