Buy Crawl Space Doors Online
Crawl Space Door Systems, Inc.
5741 Bayside Road #105
Virginia Beach, VA 23455
Mon - Fri 8a.m. - 4p.m.

When does a flood-damaged home need to be elevated?

Flood Damaged Home
Flood Damaged Home

When does a flood-damaged home need to be elevated?

Work on flood-damaged homes located in communities that participate in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is subject to specific requirements. If the flood-damaged home is in a floodplain and issubstantially damaged (see definition below), the NFIP requires that reconstruction and repairs, termed substantial improvements (see definition below), be performed to bring the home into compliance with local floodplain management regulations. These regulations include elevating the home so that its lowest floor is at or above the base flood elevation (BFE). The local jurisdiction may require elevating the home higher than the BFE, to an elevation called the design flood elevation (DFE). Other requirements include using the proper type of foundation (depending on the flood zone in which the house is located), properly anchoring the home to the foundation, using flood-resistant materials, complying with limitations on the use of enclosed areas below the elevated home and protecting utilities and equipment. Check with the local jurisdiction for additional requirements that must be met.

Reconstruction of a home that is destroyed or that has been so severely damaged that it must be rebuilt is considered construction of a new home and new homes must comply with the local floodplain management regulations.

If you need additional information on When does a flood-damaged home need to be elevated? View FEMA P-758.


Sign Up For Email Offers!

Exclusive deals, delivered straight to your inbox.